Restricted Keywords List
|% off||Crabs||Hepatitis B||multiple sclerosis||Save money|
|100% natural||Crystic Fibrosis||Hepatitis C||Muscular Dystrophy||scabies|
|100% quality guaranteed||cure||Herpes||Mycoplasma Genitalium||Seasonal Affective Disorder|
|Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome||Cytomegalovirus||Herpes Simplex Virus 1||Nano Silver||seen on tv|
|ADD||decomposable||Herpes Simplex Virus 2||native american||Ships faster|
|added value||degradable||highest rated||Native American Indian or tribes||shop with confidence|
|AIDS||Depression||Hodgkins Lymphoma||newest version||Special promo|
|All Natural||detoxification||home compostable||NGU||spring sale|
|ALS||detoxify||hot item||non toxic||Stroke|
|Anti-Fungal||Diabetic Neuropathy||HSV2||noncorrosive||super sale|
|Anti-Microbial||Discounted price||huge sale||Nongonococcal Urethritis||supplies won’t last|
|Antibacterial||disease||Human Immunodeficiency Virus||now together||TBIs|
|antifungal||diseases||Human Papiloma Virus||On sale||tbis|
|anxiety||don’t miss out||imported from||over- stock||tested|
|Arrive faster||eco friendly||inflammation||parasitic||The Clap|
|Attention Deficit Disorder Drug||eco-friendly||Influenza||Parkinson||the clap|
|Authentic||ecofriendly||Kidney Disease||Parkinsons||Top notch|
|award winning||environmentally friendly||Lasting quality||parkinsons||top quality|
|best deal||fall sale||limited time offer||peal||top selling|
|Best price||fda||Liver disease||Pelvic Inflammatory Disease||toxic|
|Best seller||FDA Approval||Lupus||Perfect for||toxin|
|Best selling||FedEx||Lymphogranuloma Venereum||Perfect gift||toxins|
|big sale||filter||Lymphoma||pesticide||Traumatic Brain Injuries|
|biological contaminants||Flu||mail rebate||PID||treatment|
|bpa free||free gift||make excellent||platinum||tribes|
|brand new||free shipping||makes awesome||plus free||Trich|
|buy now||Free shipping Guaranteed||makes great||Professional quality||trichomoniasis|
|buy with confidence||fungal||makes perfect||proven||tricht|
|Cancer||Fungicide||makes spectacular||Public lice||Tumor|
|Cancroid||Fungicides||makes the best||quality||unbeatable price|
|Cataract||fungus||makes wonderful||Ready to ship||UPS|
|cataract||gift idea||marine degradable||recommended by||Used|
|close-out||Great as||mildew||Retail box||virus|
|closeout||Great for||money back guarantee||SAD||viruses|
|Coronavirus||Hassle free||mould resistant||Satisfaction||Within hours|
|covid||heal||mould spores||Save $||worlds best|
|COVID-19||Hepatitis A||Multiple Sclerosis||Save cash|
Understanding Amazon Restricted Keywords
What Are Restricted Keywords
Restricted keywords are specific terms or phrases that Amazon disallows within product listings, descriptions, and A+ content. Amazon enforces these restrictions to maintain a high-quality customer shopping experience, ensuring sellers don’t exploit or manipulate search results. Examples of restricted keywords include trademarked terms such as “Amazon,” “Kindle,” “KDP Select,” and “Kindle Unlimited”.
Why Are Certain Keywords Restricted
There are several reasons why Amazon restricts the use of certain keywords:
- Trademark protection: Using trademarked terms without authorization can result in legal issues and falsely imply relationships between products, services, or companies. For instance, including “Game of Thrones” in a listing or description is prohibited unless you have permission from the appropriate parties.
- Unauthorized reference to other titles or authors: Mentioning other titles, authors, or competitors in your listing can mislead customers and give an unfair advantage. It’s crucial to focus on the unique features of your product rather than comparing it to others.
- Preventing manipulation of search results: Restricting specific keywords, like “Best Seller” or “FREE,” ensures that sellers can’t unfairly influence search rankings or engage in keyword stuffing. This practice helps maintain a fair marketplace and allows shoppers to find the most relevant products they’re searching for.
Amazon continuously updates its restricted keywords list to maintain a high-quality customer experience. Sellers should stay informed about these changes and adjust their listings accordingly to avoid potential penalties or listing removals.
Recognizing Restricted Keywords
As an Amazon seller, it’s important to understand the keywords not allowed for product listings. This section will discuss the Amazon-banned keywords list and learn how to identify prohibited keywords.
Amazon Banned Keywords List
Amazon has a specific restricted keywords list for 2023 that sellers must follow to avoid violating the platform’s policies. These words might include:
- Trademarked terms, such as “Game of Thrones.”
- Unauthorized references to other titles, authors, or trademarked names
- Prohibited terms like “Amazon,” “Kindle,” “KDP Select,” “Kindle Unlimited,” “Best Seller,” or “FREE.”
Violating these restrictions can result in listing removals, account suspensions, or penalties.
Identifying Prohibited Keywords
To avoid using prohibited keywords on Amazon listings, sellers should consider the following tactics:
- Research: Analyze competitor listings to identify common words to avoid. Check Amazon’s restricted keywords list updated for 2023 for more detailed insights.
- Trademark examination: Confirm if specific terms or phrases have trademark protections to avoid unintentional infringement.
- Context: Evaluate product descriptions for proper context and ensure they don’t include unauthorized references to other books, authors, or products that violate Amazon’s policies.
Sellers can also use keyword research tools designed for Amazon to ensure their listings adhere to the guidelines. By staying aware of these restrictions, sellers can optimize their listings without facing penalties and continue building a successful business on Amazon.
Infractions and Consequences
Amazon has established a comprehensive list of restricted keywords for 2023 to maintain the platform’s standards and ensure a satisfactory customer experience. Sellers must adhere to these guidelines; otherwise, they may face penalties ranging from a temporary listing suspension to a permanent account ban.
Penalties for Misuse
Violating Amazon’s keyword restrictions can have serious consequences. For instance, using restricted keywords in product listings or A+ content might result in:
- Warnings: Amazon may warn sellers who misuse restricted keywords in their products, informing them about the violation and urging them to correct it.
- Temporary suspension: In more severe cases, Amazon may temporarily suspend product listings or even the seller’s account. During this period, the seller cannot transact on the platform.
- Permanent ban: Sellers who continually disregard Amazon’s policies despite receiving multiple warnings may face a permanent ban from the platform.
Suspension and Reinstatement Process
When a seller’s account or product listing gets suspended, they must follow a specific process to rectify the situation and reinstate their account or listing. The process typically involves the following steps:
- Receive suspension notification: Amazon will send the seller a notification containing details about the violation and the reason behind the suspension. The seller must carefully review this information to understand the issue.
- Address the violation: The seller should rectify any misuse of restricted keywords in their product listings or A+ content.
- Submit a plan of action: The seller must develop and submit a comprehensive plan to Amazon, showcasing how they have corrected the issue and detailing the steps taken to prevent similar violations in the future.
- Review by Amazon: Amazon will assess the seller’s plan of action. If Amazon deems it satisfactory, they will reinstate the suspended account or listing. However, if the plan is insufficient, the seller may need to revise and resubmit it.
Sellers ought to stay informed about Amazon’s restricted keywords list for 2023 and ensure compliance to avoid facing suspensions or penalties. Familiarity with the platform’s policies helps maintain a positive reputation and improves customer experience.
Restrictions in Different Categories
Restricted Categories Overview
Amazon imposes certain restrictions on products to maintain quality and customer trust. The marketplace has a set of guidelines that sellers need to adhere to for various product categories. Some categories require special approval, while others have specific guidelines. This section will discuss the restrictions and requirements for different categories like cosmetics, electronics, food, gambling, hazardous materials, pesticides, fine art, jewelry, and automotive products.
Specific Categories and Their Restrictions
Cosmetics have strict guidelines for listing and selling on Amazon. Products must be new, sealed, and properly labeled. All cosmetic items must comply with the FDA regulations regarding ingredients and safety.
Selling electronic products on Amazon requires sellers to ensure that items are certified and compliant with regulatory standards, such as FCC and RoHS. Amazon may request documents to verify compliance.
Food products must be appropriately sealed, labeled, and have a valid expiration date. Amazon also requires compliance with its Food and Product Safety program.
Gambling-related products like casino chips, poker sets, and slot machines need pre-approval from Amazon and must not violate federal, state, or local laws.
Hazardous materials, such as flammable, explosive, or corrosive substances, are restricted. Sellers are responsible for providing proper labeling, packaging, and shipping according to the Product HazMat program.
Pesticides also demand compliance with the EPA regulations and Amazon’s policies. Documentation might be requested for verification.
Selling fine art on Amazon is restricted to pre-approved sellers. Artwork must be original and hold a certificate of authenticity.
Jewelry products must follow Amazon’s guidelines, including meeting the Federal Trade Commission’s metal and gemstone disclosures regulations.
Automotive and Powersports
Selling automotive and power sports products requires special permission. Listings must comply with federal and state regulations while following Amazon’s product compatibility guidelines.
By adhering to Amazon’s restrictions and guidelines in various categories, sellers can maintain trust, avoid listing errors, and successfully navigate the platform.
Listing Rules and Guidelines
When selling on Amazon, sellers must understand and adhere to the listing rules and guidelines set by the platform. These rules help maintain a safe and positive shopping experience for customers. Some of the key guidelines include avoiding the use of misleading information, prohibited content, and restricted keywords.
Amazon continuously updates its restricted keywords list, which sellers must avoid using in their product titles, descriptions, and A+ content. Using restricted keywords may lead to listing suppression or other negative consequences.
Steps to Ensure Compliance
- Review Amazon’s guidelines: Familiarize yourself with the listing rules and guidelines to avoid violations. Periodically review these rules as they may change over time.
- Monitor your listings: Keep a close eye on your product listings and ensure your content follows the guidelines. Update them promptly if any violations are detected.
- Check restricted keywords: Regularly consult the Amazon Restricted Keywords List to identify any changes or new keyword additions. Remove any restricted keywords from your listings.
- Create clear and accurate content: Ensure your product description is concise and accurate and provides all relevant information without using misleading terms or exaggerations.
- Request approval for restricted items: If your product falls into a category that requires approval, seek approval from Amazon before listing the item.
By complying with Amazon’s listing rules and guidelines, sellers can create a trustworthy online shopping environment that benefits customers and their business performance.
Optimizing Your Product Listing
Importance of Relevant and Non-Restricted Keywords
An effective product listing on Amazon is vital for visibility and attracting potential customers. Utilizing relevant and non-restricted keywords ensures your products appear in search results and enhances the overall customer experience. For example, if you sell eco-friendly water bottles, incorporating keywords such as “BPA-free” and “sustainable” increases the likelihood of your product appearing in relevant searches. Steer clear of using Amazon’s restricted keyword list to maintain compliance with their regulations.
Be mindful of keyword usage within titles, descriptions, product detail pages, and A+ content. Diversify the terms without overstuffing to appeal to a wider audience. During high-sales periods like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, precise keyword usage attracts more potential buyers.
Amazon Listing Optimization
Amazon listing optimization involves refining various components of a product listing to improve its search ranking and appeal to customers. Key factors include crafting compelling titles, writing precise product descriptions, and choosing high-quality images.
Product Titles: A well-crafted product title instantly communicates essential information to potential buyers. Ensure the title is concise, informative, and includes primary keywords. For example, a product title such as “Stainless Steel Insulated Water Bottle, Leak-Proof, 24 oz, BPA-Free” is effective.
Product Descriptions: Engaging product descriptions requires a balance between details and readability—format descriptions with bullet points, bold text, and varying sentence structures for easier consumption. Describe unique selling points and insert relevant keywords, optimizing the text for search results while not sacrificing readability.
Images: High-quality images showcase the product effectively and build trust among customers. Use multiple images to highlight different aspects, such as functionality and design. High-resolution images enhance the overall shopping experience for potential buyers.
A+ Content: Adding A+ content to product listings contributes to higher conversion rates and improved brand visibility. Use this section to provide additional information, multimedia elements, and detailed explanations that expand upon the features and benefits of your product.
Marketplace and Storefront Optimization: Customize your storefront to reflect your brand identity, creating an engaging online presence within the Amazon marketplace. Keep the design consistent, incorporating high-quality images, concise product information, and easy-to-navigate layouts.
Achieving Amazon listing optimization requires continuous monitoring and adjustment. Utilize software tools like MarketGap Pro Calculator to track your product’s performance, manage relevant keywords, and capitalize upon eCommerce trends. Stay up-to-date on marketplace changes, customer feedback, and competitors, adjusting your listings to maximize visibility and sales.
Dealing with Content Restrictions
Understanding Content Restrictions
Amazon takes the matter of offensive content very seriously to maintain a positive marketplace experience for buyers and sellers. These content restrictions apply across multiple facets of Seller Central, including product descriptions, A+ Content, and email communication with customers. As a result, it is crucial to be aware of these restrictions to avoid any consequences, such as suppressed listings or account suspension.
One of the primary limitations involves Amazon’s restricted keyword list – a set of banned words that vendors should avoid using while creating product listings. These keywords can include offensive language, misleading information, or irrelevant terms that violate the platform’s guidelines. To ensure compliance, familiarity with these restricted keywords and diligently applying the guidelines during product listing creation and customer communication is essential.
Managing Restricted Keyword Lists
Sellers can best manage Amazon’s content restrictions by:
- Carefully reviewing guidelines: Staying informed about Amazon’s content restrictions will help you make necessary adjustments to comply. Regularly reviewing the prohibited content list provided by Amazon is an excellent way to stay updated.
- Utilizing tools: Several tools can help you identify and avoid using restricted keywords in your listings. Employing such resources ensures that your product listings adhere to the guidelines without risking suppression.
- Customizing communication: When engaging with customers, be cautious about the words you use in your email and messaging. Avoid sharing offensive or restricted content, misleading information, or even your email address to ensure an uninterrupted selling experience.
- Staying vigilant: Keep an eye on the latest updates and changes that may affect your product listings. If Amazon adds new keywords to its restricted list, modify your content to remain compliant.
By understanding and adhering to Amazon’s content restrictions, sellers can maintain a positive and compliant presence on the platform. This approach helps to foster a more trustworthy selling experience for both sellers and buyers while protecting the integrity of the Amazon marketplace.
Certifications and Claims
Certified products on Amazon hold a certain level of authenticity and reliability. These products have undergone rigorous testing and have been verified by recognized institutions or organizations. For example, electronic devices may have certifications like CE or FCC marking, indicating that they meet safety and emission standards.
Certifications to look for:
- Organic: Products labeled as organic have met specific production and handling requirements set by the USDA Organic Regulations.
- Fair Trade: The Fair Trade certification ensures that products have been ethically sourced and producers have received a fair price.
- Energy Star: Energy Star-certified products meet stringent energy efficiency requirements, helping consumers save on utility bills and protect the environment.
Claims and Awards
Claims made by sellers on Amazon should be genuine and truthful. False or exaggerated claims can lead to negative consequences and may even result in account suspension. Sellers must ensure their marketing material and product descriptions accurately represent the product’s features, benefits, and applicable certifications.
Awards can showcase a product’s high quality and recognition within its category or industry. For instance, a product receiving a Red Dot Design Award indicates excellence in design and innovation. Including information about awards in product descriptions can instill confidence in potential buyers.
To summarize, sellers must verify certifications when listing products on Amazon and avoid making false claims. Properly presenting certified products and accurately detailing claims and awards can enhance trust and credibility with buyers.
Amazon’s Policies and Practices
Guarantees and Promotions
Amazon has strict policies governing guarantees and promotions in product listings. Exaggerated or false claims about price, guarantee, free offers, warranty information, and special offers violate their guidelines. Amazon expects sellers to remain honest and transparent with customers, providing accurate and relevant information to avoid misleading buyers.
For instance, sellers cannot falsely advertise a “Lifetime Warranty” if the product has limitations on its warranty duration or specific terms/criteria that need to be met. Likewise, promotion offers like “Buy One, Get One Free” should be meticulously presented to avoid confusion or false expectations.
Amazon’s Return and Refund Policies
Amazon’s return and refund policies dictate that sellers must abide by specific guidelines regarding off-Amazon return or refund policies. Amazon has stringent rules governing refunds, returns, and exchange practices to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Sellers must offer a minimum return window of 30 days for most products.
- The item should be in the same condition as when the buyer received it.
- Sellers must provide a return label for most returns.
- In shipping errors or damaged items, sellers must offer a full refund.
By adhering to these practices, Amazon sellers can ensure a positive shopping experience for customers while complying with Amazon’s policies. Remember to provide accurate information, avoid false claims, and utilize Amazon’s resources to optimize your product listings. Be confident, knowledgeable, and clear when presenting your products, and focus on a neutral tone to convey the necessary details.
Special Circumstances and Keywords
COVID-19 and Online Marketplaces
During the Covid-19 pandemic, online marketplaces like Amazon have experienced significant changes and challenges. One of these challenges has been dealing with a surge in coronavirus-related products and content. As a result, Amazon has implemented restrictions on listings and keywords related to the virus. Sellers must stay informed about these restrictions, as Amazon has continually adapted its policies to the evolving situation and regulatory guidelines. The aim is to ensure sellers provide customers with accurate, relevant, and safe information.
For example, in the early stages of the pandemic, there were restrictions placed on products such as masks and sanitizers, as well as the use of keywords like “coronavirus” and “COVID-19”. These restrictions were implemented to prevent price gouging, false advertising, and selling unregulated or potentially harmful items.
Managing Unexpected Keyword Restrictions
Handling unexpected keyword restrictions can be daunting for Amazon sellers in 2023. To manage these restrictions, sellers need to:
- Stay informed: Regularly monitor Amazon’s restricted keyword list for updates and changes to comply with their guidelines.
- Adjust listings: If a keyword in a product listing is suddenly restricted, it is crucial to update the listing promptly to avoid potential penalties from Amazon.
- Be proactive: Watching news sources and industry organizations for developments that could lead to future restrictions may be helpful. This can help sellers anticipate and adapt to keyword restrictions before they happen.
- Focus on quality: Ensure your product listings offer accurate information, are free of misleading claims, and maintain a high-quality standard to avoid running afoul of Amazon’s guidelines and restrictions.
Developments related to the Covid-19 pandemic have reinforced the importance of adjusting to sudden changes and restrictions, especially in online marketplaces. By staying informed, adapting quickly, and maintaining quality listings, Amazon sellers can better navigate challenges and keep their businesses running smoothly.
Denes, with 20 years experience in logistics, holds a Logistics Manager degree from Budapest’s Logistics Association and has penned a thesis on mobile devices. Venturing into e-commerce, Denes specializes in Fulfilled By Amazon and passionately educates others about Amazon selling techniques.